I’m confident that this teriyaki chicken crock pot recipe (with homemade sauce) will quickly become a family favorite main dish for an easy weeknight dinner idea.
Everyone loves a good teriyaki chicken meal, but you’ll love more is this easy slow cooker recipe for dinner. This recipe takes a family favorite and makes it simple to serve any night of the week.
Reduce your prep time down to merely five minutes while you sit back and relax letting your slow cooker do all of the work to slow cook this easy recipe for dinner.
Much like sheet pan meals, using your slow cooker to whip up dinner allows you to have fewer dishes and more time to spend with your family.
Is chicken teriyaki healthy?
I can’t say that chicken teriyaki is the healthiest meal for your family. While this easy slow cooker recipe for dinner is an excellent source of protein, it is high in sodium and calories.
I suggest you opt for nutrient-rich vegetables to serve alongside your chicken teriyaki to make this meal more balanced for the whole family.
Can you cook rice in the crock pot?
It is possible to cook rice in the crockpot. Some people use a rice cooker, but if you don’t have one, then you can use the crockpot to make your rice for this crockpot teriyaki chicken recipe.
You’ll need to rub the inside of your crockpot with butter, add in 2 cups of water for every 1 cup of rice, and allow your crockpot to cook on high for 2-3 hours. You’ll need to check the rice every 45 minutes to see when it’s done cooking in the crockpot.
How to Make Teriyaki Chicken in the Crock Pot
Now that you’ve read everything about this easy dinner recipe, it’s time to gather the list of ingredients below. I’m so excited that you’ll be trying this recipe as a means to save time in the kitchen and offer your family a new flavor during your weekly meals.
- boneless, skinless chicken breast
- brown sugar, packed
- miced garlic
- fresh ginger, minced
- soy sauce
- cider vinegar or rice vinegar
- fresh orange juice
Can vegetables be added to slow cooker teriyaki chicken?
If you’d rather make this easy slow cooker recipe for dinner easier, you can add the vegetables in with the chicken.
Adding vegetables to slow cooker teriyaki chicken is perfectly acceptable, but remember to add the vegetables later in the cooking process so that they don’t get too soggy.
Vegetables will not have to slow cook as long as your teriyaki chicken, thus giving you time to chop up the vegetables and add them into your crockpot within the last hour of cooking so that they can cook to perfection alongside your teriyaki chicken.
Crock Pot Teriyaki Chicken
- 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breast
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar packed
- 1 teaspoon garlic minced
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ginger minced
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar or rice vinegar
- 1/4 cup fresh orange juice
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3-4 teaspoons water
- In a medium bowl, combine sugar, brown sugar, garlic and ginger
- Whisk in soy sauce, cider vinegar and orange juice until well combined
- Place trimmed chicken breasts in crock pot
- Pour sauce over chicken
- Cook on low for 4-6 hours or until internal temperature of chicken is 165 degrees
- Remove chicken and set aside
- Pour sauce into small saucepan
- In a small jar with a lid, combine cornstarch and water, shake until well combined with no clumps
- Heat sauce slightly, then slowly pour cornstarch mixture into sauce, whisking constantly
- Cook while whisking until thick and heated, about 10 minutes
- Slice or pull chicken and place in serving bowl
- Pour sauce over chicken
- Serve immediately with rice and vegetables
- Store leftovers in refrigerato